Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Social Scene....or not....

St Nigella of the Range Cooker once said something along the following lines " you can have a career and a family or a family and a social life but you can't have all three at the same time."

And of course she's right. Having tried extensive experiments over the last 10 years since giving birth I can completely confrim this. And it's not just a matter of time - although that is significant - it's more a matter of brain room, or what my techy friends call "band width" by the time the job, the house, the child and the husband are all organised there is no room to think about anyone else.

And a social life that works demands that you care about it. For example ; having failed to go to the prep school ball three years running I was quite upset when the chairwoman of the organising committee started to blank me. TB explained that she was offended by the fact that I clearly didn't give a rat's arse about something that occupied weeks of her time. I didn't go because I didn't want to go, I just hadn't remembered that it was on.

I have mates - mates that I work with, mates I go to dance classes with, but that's different it's not the party, dinner party, ball circuit.

But I do long for a boogie every now and again - so I am gutted that the Valentine's Ball to which me the TB and a bunch of my mates are going is THIS SATURDAY so there is not time to no longer look like a zitty werewolf..(see last post)

4 comments:

BEAST said...

Thats five days away , you will look fine by then , you lucky devil going to a bollock , I havn't been to one in AGES.
The all seeing all knowing St Nigella is always right

Frobisher said...

"party, dinner party, ball circuit"

ball circuit? I don't call sitting on hay bales, getting pissed with a load of hairy-arsed farmers a ball circuit! You forget I have visited Staffordshire!

Andrea said...

Frobes - the girlies wear Chanel Frocks though, and on one famous occasion I was in a portaloo with Jo Wood and Amanda Harlech!

Beast - St Nigella is the patron saint of all middle aged women with ample boobs myself included!

BEAST said...

Nigella , is also the patron saint of greedy beasts....

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013