Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dancing in the Kitchen

A combination of things got me pondering this - Beastie's childhood remenisences post and groving to Gwen Stefani in the car on the way to school with the AB. My strongest childhood memories are all about listening to songs in the car, and dancing around the kitchen to the radio.

In fact i've always thought that when (not if obviously!) I am invited to be on Desert Island discs I shall chose my 7 records by people, and be fantastically nostalgic. So in a sneak preview here they are ( and God do they date me!);

Downtown, Petula Clarke - not so much dancing in the kitchen with Mum to this one, but singing. Just hearing the introduction brings a clear picture of my Mum, 29, blonde and pretty damn gorgeous actually, singing her head off whilst burning the dinner.

A Little Love and Understanding, Charles Aznavour - my Dad had one of those Peugot 307's with three rows of seats in which he took us all to school, singing along to this in fake French accents. Wogan still plays it in the morning occasionally , which is truly terrifying!

Prime Time, The Tubes - Is time travel to a top floor flat, in Dundas st, New Town, Edinburgh, where me and my mate S lived in palatial , freezing squalour thinking it was all fabulously decadent darling!

Heaven, Psychadelic Furs - I lived in rural Staffs as a kid and so learning to drive was a huge deal - don't drive = don't get to go anywhere. This song was played really loud on a dodgy cassette player whilst hurtling round the stunning staffs moorlands countryside in my best mates bright yellow 2CV.

Find my Love, Fairground Attraction - TB's song , ahhh

Fall At Your Feet, Crowded House - played until the tape broke, afterAB was born and we brought her home from hospital, listening to the song and just sitting looking at her.

Rattlesnakes , Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - there is a stretch of road between Perth and Margaret River where the tarmac runs out and you hit gravel through bush , play this song, and keep an eye out for kangeroos.

2 comments:

BEAST said...

Ooooh that brought me back , I have a very strong memory of Downtown , it had something to do with ma Beasty , but I cant remember why !!!
How spooky
Also Bits n' peices , but i cant rememebr why on that one iether but it has something to do with stew

Nicholas said...

Ok this is creepy! I'm reading your posting and the TV is on... Someone starts singing Downtown.

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013