Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Don't tell the kids at school your mother bakes her own bread

they will think we're hippies" - advice from TB to the child.

I work in a profession that reveres and is at the same time terrified of time. We measeure what we do in units of "chargable time", I account for the way I spend my day on a time sheet in units of six minutes. I know what I am doing at work every minute of the day and so does everyone else in the office. At the end of a job I review the time spent and wonder "can I really charge for that 24 minutes of research? should I have known the point? will the file stand it?" If the client is unhappy with the bill he can ask the court to "Tax" it so the judge reviews the time spent; "It took far too long to settle those witness statements an hour and a half would have been more than adequate!"

So I don't find it strange that in my "spare time" I like to do things that require disproportionatley large amounts of time for the result - yoga, knitting, baking, reading, all activities for the time rich , which I'm not, and therefore all luxuries to me.

And anyway - I don't care if everyone thinks I'm an old hippy!

2 comments:

BEAST said...

I got a bread making machine , its great , a bit like the washing machine , chuck everything in , switch it on and it does the rest for you....now where was that tie dye shirt

Tickersoid said...

You're not a hippie until you buy a hand cranked, muselli making machine.

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013