Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Occasional Restaurant Review - Mad Jack's Shrewsbury

I was really excited about lunch at Mad Jack's, all the pedigree was there, owned by the same team as the Mytton and Mermaid, who also used to run Cromwells. I have very fond memories of wonderful salads in Cromwells garden in the sunshine.

So real excitement led to real dissapointment. My friend's baby (she is one and well behaved, blonde and beautiful) joined us for lunch, not only are there no high chairs, but the way the staff behaved we may as well have been carrying a turd, not a child.

Tiny ciabatta sandwiches, the chef having a strop about replacing steak with chicken in one of them and cold chips! Oh yes and three sandwiches and three drinks - £36! - this is the provinces boys stop taking the piss!

Surly staff, food not up to snuff - definatley not the place for lunch, dinner may be better but I'm not going to risk it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mad Jacks' prices are absolutely obscene. Bill for 6 of us came to £260 (that's over £40 a head!) for what was basically glorified pub food, with absurdly small portions. Fish stew is nice but for £15 I expect more than 2 prawns, 2 mussels and 3 pieces of white fish. Anyone visiting Shrewsbury- avoid this place and save your wallet a hammering.

fussycat said...

I cannot believe the comments I have just read about Mad Jacks, I have eaten there numerous times and I have never been disappointed. To me there is no better place, and I have very high standards.

The staff are friendly, helpful and work extremely hard.
The food, yes it is expensive, but worth every penny, I’m an extremely fussy eater and several times the chef has accommodated me with no fuss.
And as for not accommodating children; I happen to know there was a children’s party there last week that took up most of an afternoon.

I suggest you revisit Mad Jacks because it sounds to me like you are talking about a completely different place. Mad Jacks is my favorite restaurant. I’d go every night if I could!

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013