Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Monday, March 19, 2007

Black Dog

Poor old Beast isn't very well. It's one of the cruel things about depression that very often an episode hits you in the spring just when everything is getting better.

I am impressed by first nation's approach of doing everything she likes when she sees the black dog approach. My problem is that at that point I can't remember what I like or even if there is anything in the world that I ever liked....

I know I've posted this before but it might bear repetition. One of the horrid things about a black phase is that you feel like such a tit for being depressed. Then what helps me is to compile a list of all the other people who have suffered and are patently not tits. Here's mine;

Churchill, Charles Dickens, JK Rowling, Stephen Fry, Beastie, Alistair Campbell, First Nations.

Feel free to add!

7 comments:

BEAST said...

I refuse to look at it as 'not well' , rather, temporarily out of order......
I may have a sign made to hang round my neck :-)

Andrea said...

That's a good one actually - I'll remember that temporarily out of order.

Tickersoid said...

What makes me wonder is how people with depression manage to function at all. Do you just sort of go throught the motions of being alive?

Andrea said...

I explained it to a friend once saying "I feel as if I've been peeled, so I can't bear to "touch" things, be they real things, people, or things I have to do.

Does that make any sense?

Tickersoid said...

I wonder if it's different for individuals. I've heard it explained more like Beast. The only thing I can compare it to is when I've been in shock. You're aware of what's going on around you and interact to some degree but you're detached.

Tickersoid said...

Of course it's quite possible I'm talking utter tosh.

The Aunt said...

Me.

That's if I count, being this useless lump of barely existent meanderings, I should go and gas myself right now in my 90cm SMEG oven blah blah blah.

Thank God the sun is coming back is all I can say.

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013