Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Auld Wrekie

In someways it's very odd to have the chronology of your life specified by geography as well. As I am on the brink of another move to another place I find myself thinking about the old places and one in particular.

1980 - 1984 : Edinburgh

As the University of Edinburgh frequently reminds me I am an alumnus and a life member of the general council of the University. At the time the University seemed to me to matter rather less than the fact of living in the city, drinking in Kays Bar and going to Murrayfield (didn't pay, mates dad had a debenture!). The day John Lennon got shot I was sitting eating my pie and beans in the Potterow bar wondering what the hell everyone was crying about. I was shocked when I left that the rest of my life wasn't immediatley that interesting and challenging. In an attempt to keep up the pace I promptly buggered off to Australia for two years but that's another story. Finally, 25 years after I went there I finally have a life that matches up, it took a bit of doing. Watching Richenbach Falls this week set me wondering, I haven't lived there for 23 years, haven't been back at all for the last 12 - could I even find my way around the place let alone recognise anything.

I think there has been a decision that we probably have to try! So flights to be booked, it's time for the AB to visit Scotland.

3 comments:

BEAST said...

Oh....well have a nice time , you could have tea with old knudesen while you are there....that will be nice

Tickersoid said...

I was in a tatoo in Edinborough. Didn't do much except march, stand to attention and try not to fall over.

*DB* said...

Most excellent. Say hi to Scotland for me. I'll miss the "giant's boot scrapings"by your house. It was fun to go up it the winter I was there. Of course, the wrecked muddy shoes were another thing...

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013