Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Actimel & Prozac

Did you watch Stephen Fry last night? Bloody fantastic I thought.

Although I'm not bi-polar I have suffered from depressive episodes, down to a mix of genetics and overwork. Other people have heart attacks - I shake and can't get out of bed. And the one thing that struck me as so true about all of the amazing people that he spoke to was their desire to ignore it and carry on, and really hating themselves for the depressive attacks. That is almost the worst thing - feeling such a bloody failure and such a fool for feeling that way.

Someone once asked me to describe how depression feels and the closest I can get is "it's like you've been peeled - someone has taken your skin off and so everything hurts too much", a couple of other depressives recognised that feeling too so I can't be far off.

The only thing I've ever regretted saying about it was to a judge who has muttering about "some bloody woman on anti-depressants" to which I of course replied "Well everyone takes them don't they? Actimel and Prozac, breakfast of champions!"

7 comments:

The Mistress said...

I've a couple of friends who suffer depressive episodes and it's heartbreaking. And the judge had it coming to him.

BEAST said...

I suffer from depressive episodes from time to time , and it is really hard to explain to people its not 'feeling miserable' so 'going out and having fun' really is not the answer.
With good diet and management I have managed to avoid the anti depressants (mostly) as they make me feel worse.
MJ I dont think its heartbreaking really , its just a fact of life and with good management you can get round it with the minimum of fuss

Frobisher said...

No, missed the programme but everyone who saw it says how good it was. Hopefully it will be repeated. I used to think I suffered with depression but realise I was just feeling down/blue/pissed off after talking to real sufferers. Unfortunately, "bi-polar" is becomming a bit of a buzz word these days.

Andrea said...

I hated being dignosed as "depressive" - makes you sound like such a miserable fucker!

What do you eat beast? - apart from no crap obviously! Mother is nagging me to take fish oil,ewww!

And reading that post again - sounds very "poor me" , just shows that I shouldn't be allowed near to the means of social communication on a bad day.

The Mistress said...

Beast: Good point. I've known people who were managing well but it's also hurt me to see those who couldn't get out of bed or had no will to do anything.

BEAST said...

lippy lots of green veg , salad and stuff , and I find cranberry juice and avocados(not together) help for some bizzare reason , stay away from comfort carbs till your mood starts to lift as they just drag everything down

Tickersoid said...

I'm so blessed in the mental health area.
I was thinking recently how important it is.

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013