Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Does this mean we have to stay sober?

It did occur to me on Friday night as I walked down Chancery Lane only to be turned back by a police man, that the time you are most likely to run into a terrorist attack is when you have had a drink, or two or three.

Friday my mate H had FINALLY passed the insolvency exam. The important point being that we had spent the better part of the afternoon in a marquee in Gray's Inn drinking industrial quantities of Pimms'. So we set off in search of supper, not too much the worse for wear but a bit only to be sent on a detour around Linclon's Inn Fields and the Aldwych. Not too much of a problem, having had that much of a stroll we carried on to the Eye. Now the Eye was surprisingly quiet, maybe due to hightened level of terror alert? So we decided to go for a sundown flight, which was stunning and I do reccomend it.

Some poor sap in the next capsule was doing the whole, get engaged on a champagne flight thing! Don't do it unless you want the rest of the population clapping and taking photos! - not subtle and what if she had said no? - I digress.

Back to Joe Allen's for supper then walked back to the Bonnington - didn't encounter any more bombs or anything looking like a bomb on the way but that was more good luck than good judgement...still can't let a terror threat ruin your evening can you?

8 comments:

BEAST said...

I dont miss living in London , a bom once went off near my flat , resulting in a ruined dinner and baked beans dripping off my kitchen ceiling !

Andrea said...

Eww that's not nice!

I am very jealous of your holiday as I am not going to get one! - I need to finish writing a paper this afternoon, so of course I am tooling about all over the internet and not doing very much work at all!

*DB* said...

Well, I guess being slightly inebriated keeps you calm in the event of a terrorist attack - it has that going for it!

Oh, Pimms...mmmm. Will have to whip out the cards in reference to your email...

Andrea said...

Oh please do - honestly I'm writing a paper that I am being PAID for this afternoon and my concentration level is absolutley SHIT! I need kicking very hard!

Tickersoid said...

I've disconnected the TV and don't buy a paper. I had no Idea we were in the grips of a round of terrorist attacks.

Nicholas said...

I really miss London. On 7/7 I had the irrational feeling that I should be there.

Re public proposals: I saw on TV not long ago some man who had arranged for the scoreboard in a basketball game at half time to say "Bob says: Mary will you marry me?" The TV cameras zoomed in on the couple, the crowd cheered and the bloke got down on one knee. The girl looked stricken, shook her head and ran away, leaving the man looking like the biggest plonker on earth!

Andrea said...

nicholas - do you have a blog and are we allowed to read it?

I have an ongoing love affair with London too.

Unknown said...

I think if you're going to be stuck in a bomb scare, being a little drunk is definately the way forward! :)

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013