Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Friday, July 25, 2008

Other people's lives

Do you ever long to know what it is like to be someone else or is it just me? Judging by the proliferation of celeb magazines and websites it clearly isn't just me, but I'm not just fascinated by famous people.

I find myself on the train into Liverpool St, looking at the windows of all the flats in Bethnal Green and thinking "what do they all do?"

At school I was fascinated by a girl at school,we will call her Tracy, who lived in a big glass sixties "pad" complete with white shag pile carpets and a swimming pool, her Mum drove a lotus and looked quite a lot like Farah Fawcett Majors. I didn't actually like Tracy that much and we were never particular friends, but I just wanted to know what her life felt like, mostly because it was so different from mine.

Currently I have the same fascination for Alice who keeps her horse at the same livery as mine, and I suspect is how Katie Price would be if she had never been Jordan - i.e normal chest size, really good rider (pushing at the boundaries of international standard), extremely pretty and married with a couple of kids. Also very good company. I like her a lot more than I liked Tracy!

That's part of the fascination of blogs isn't it? The insight into other people's lives, or at least how other people perceive their lives to be - which may be something quite different.

3 comments:

BEAST said...

I am glad I am not the only one who peers into peoples houses and wonder what's going on inside. I used to love walking the dogs round the streets when it gets dark in the winter , having a good nose and a snigger at peoples decorating choices and stuff and wondering what preceded the choices etc

Andrea said...

The best ones to peer in are those houses when you are on holiday in Greece and the whole family are in the kitchen with the door wide open shouting at each other.

Almost enough to make me go and learn Greek!

Nicey said...

OMG - I do that all the time just look at people and wonder how happy they really are,

I think that I do it to find out what 'normal' is

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013