Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Monday, December 03, 2007

I thought that I was fairly intelligent and reasonably well informed

I don't know if you watched the Tony Blair documentary last night. One thing still leaves me puzzled. He thought the war in Iraq was , I quote "morally the right thing to do".

I can understand why he thought it made economic sense - oil
I can understand why it might have been politically expedient - you don't argue with the USA
I can understand why he thought it might be in this country's best interests - ditto


But "Morally the right thing to do" - why? On what basis. Because it's not on any basis that has ever been rationally explained to me.

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

Blair has said that he rejects the Treaty of Westphalia, which has governed nations since the 17th century, in that you don't interfere with the internal matters of another country. he clearly thought it was permissible to invade Iraq because he didn't like Saddam, and he fell easy prey to the fake information that Washington fed him about WMDs. He made a huge mistake, and had to leave office with his tail between his legs. And good riddance.

Hayden said...

yep. no logic. interesting that he didn't bother to state what the moral imperative was.

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013