Followers

Listening to/reading/watching

  • Spooks, Heroes and Little Dorrit
  • The Ascent of Money
  • Fountains of Wayne, Dusty Springfield, Nickleback, Talking Heads

Cluster Map

Monday, August 04, 2008

Wrong phase of the moon????

I can't help but feel that the first week in August is not my luckiest time of year.

This time last year I was in hospital, on a men's ward .in the next bed to a convict who was chained to a prison warder - being pumped full of drugs that I didn't need for an illness that I didn't have!

Splendid!

This year I'm short of work and stuck with a bunch of slow paying clients. I really hate threatening clients with bankruptcy proceedings but when you know they could pay you and just won't - even though they were more than happy with the work, then breaking point does arrive. So the first threatening letter has gone with another to follow shortly. There are only two thank goodness, that are really really taking the piss.

I know I am in much better financial shape than many, I don't owe anybody anything (no loans baby) and I have savings.

I had one potential client on the phone today who almost made me cry - working their ass off in a pub business and making less than £100 per week - because the brewery are taking all the profit. I am not sure there is much I can do, I'll certainly try but I think they just signed up to the usual brewery shit deal.

Whatever you may think of me - promise me one thing - never ever take on the tenancy of a pub.

5 comments:

Frobisher said...

Dead right, you hear one horror story after another about breweries & to cap it no one much bothers to go out drinking anymore.

Prob. explains the glut of "To Let" signs outside pubs.

rX said...

just as bad working for private landlords!!!
i'd definitely NEVER ever working in a pub...

BEAST said...

You do have to wonder , why didnt they have the contract reviewed BEFORE they signed it.
Is it me or are people a bit thick !

Andrea said...

Beast the brewery actually make it very difficult for ingoing tenants to get the information they need to make a decision on the business. At the minute they are trying to "bump" a client into taking a lease and I am being the harsh voice of reason yelling"NO NO NO!"

Nicey said...

Your right there, me working / owning a pub would definitly lead me to self destruction ....

About Me

My photo
A blog about being middle aged, in England in 2013